Tuesday, February 10, 2009

After going to Arts High School

I was honestly amazed by our visit to Arts High School.  I was very enthused and happy that I decided to change career paths and become an educator.  While speaking to the current teachers, I heard the positive approaches that these educators have towards their students.  It makes you realize that your attitude, as an educator, goes a long way towards positively or negatively motivating your students.  This really blew me away because it is the same attitude that I want to take with me into the classrooms.  I seriously did not believe that there were many inner city high school teachers who had that type of attitude towards their students.  The student guides also showcased this same attitude.  They were a great help in answering our questions which allowed us to see what types of teaching styles actually work and which ones did not have any affect at all.  They were very professional, mature and knowledgeable.  This blew me away because I don’t remember many of the senior students from my high school having such a good head on their shoulders and actually being prepared for their future.

After leaving Arts, I have a very optimistic outlook towards the future of this country, and world.  I come from the inner city and am so happy to see the positive energy that can come out of an inner city community.  It solidified my belief that there is no truth to the stereotypes that many people have towards the inner city youth.  There are so many young adults coming out prepared for, or already experiencing a successful career path.  This trip to Arts surpassed my expectations and made me very anxious to go back and enjoy some more learning experiences there.

2 comments:

  1. I agree I had a wonderful experience and I am also happy that I changed my career path to being an educator after our visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I deffinatly feel the same way after leaving there. I'm glad I decided to get my degree in teaching and after seeing how passionate those teachers were it has inspired me to want to educate even more.

    ReplyDelete